Monday, June 4, 2007

The South Fork on 5/31/07

My dad and I decided to float the South Fork again today. Rather than doing the long float we did yesterday (15 miles), we decided to float from the Lodge down to Conant (10 miles).The flows dropped to 14,000 last night, so some of the spots fished a little better today. At the end of the day we had boated 17 trout. Today we focused a little harder on trying to get some of the larger fish to grab streamers, and it proved successful. I had one of the best streamer grabs I have ever had in my entire fly fishing career. I was throwing this 4 inch streamer on the bank, and as soon as the fly hit the water this 19'' brown exploded on it. It looked like a largemouth bass devouring a top water bait. Needless to say that I was pretty fired up about the grab. My dad also had a successful day. He landed a 18'' hybrid and cutthroat. The hybrid took a little prince nymph under an indicator, and the cutthroat grabbed a streamer. I felt much more successful today, and the float was much more manageable when compared to the one yesterday. Give me a call to come and fish the South Fork. This is a river you need to fish before you die!!!

No comments: