Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Salt River on Memorial Day

Well I am still waiting for the South Fork to drop to get out there and learn a few things. The good news is that it is dropping about 1,000 CFS every night. So tomorrow it should be bout time to get out there.

I decided to go float the Salt River with my wife and father on Memorial Day. We floated a section of river that I have never been on before, and what a learning lesson it was. We floated from the town of Grover to the Auburn Bridge. I thought we were doing a half day float because the drift is only four road miles. However those 4 road miles ended up being like 8 river miles. I have never seen a section of river in my entire of life that had as many twists and turns as the Salt. There were sections in the river that made complete "U" turns.

Anyways the fishing was a little slow, but still awesome since all we did was throw big streamers. The is really nothing better than a streamer grab for a decent size Brown or Cutthroat. In total we had about 10 grabs, with the biggest fish going about 17''. I love not having to throw indicators all day long. It is finally nice to do something different. Give me a call if you want to come and check out these true trout rivers.

No comments: