Tuesday, May 1, 2007

The Feather on 4/29/2007

This weekend has been a great adventure for my clients from New Mexico. They have come to Northern California to fish three different rivers in three days. So on their last day we decided to float the Lower Feather in hopes to run into a few spring steelhead. We hooked 9 springers today. The first part of the day we spent wading the top section near the hatchery, and while we were up there one of my clients hooked a monster fish for the spring. As soon as this adult steelie was hooked it immediately ripped off 70 feet of backing and started jumping and rolling around. I was fired up, because this fish did not act like most Feather fish. This steelhead reminded me of the fish that you hook when you are chasing the grey ghost on the coast. Well as any good fish story goes, my client fought the fish all the way to the net. The fish made one last surge and the hook pulled out of his mouth. I'm pretty sure the guy from New Mexico will be coming back to renew that memory real soon. Steelheading is just plain addicting!! The rest of the day we continued to hook 8 more fish. 7 of them were half pounders, and 1 small adult. The hot bugs were a size 14 San Juan Worm & 16 BH redheaded prince. Give me a call if you want to get on some late steelhead action on the Feather.

No comments: