Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Lower Sac on 3/25/2007

Today was one of the hardest days I have had on the Lower Sac in several months. The water resource people decided to jump the flows from 4800 CFS to 5800 CFS overnight. One thing about the Lower Sac fish is that they do not like change. Drastic water changes or even drastic weather can put the bite off for a day or so. So from the start I knew that it was going to be tough out there. I had the same clients both on Saturday and Sunday, so I decided to do another float to show them some new water. I decided to float from Sac RV down to Balls Ferry. I had to do a shorter float because my clients had to be off the water by 3:45 PM. We started fishing around 9AM, and by 2:30PM we had only hooked 3 fish. I guess you could officially say the fish freaked out. However from 2:30 until we took off the fishing was fantastic. In the last hour of fishing we hooked 14 rainbows, and got one pig that went 22''. A 22'' rainbow below Anderson is a HUGE fish! At 2:30 it was like God turned the feeding light switch on. For the conditions I was very happy. Not to often do I get fired up by only hooking 17 rainbows, but on a day like today it felt like an accomplishment. I wonder if we would have done a full day if the fish would have continued to eat? Anyways, the hot bug today was a 14 tan fox's pupah. Give me a call to get in on the Spring Caddis action, and hopefully the day you come up they wont mess with the water flows!

No comments: