Monday, October 15, 2007

The Lower Sac 10/11-10/14



The EGG BITE continues to be extremely good on the Lower Sac. Thursday and Friday I floated from Posse Grounds down to Sac RV. Thursday the fishing was solid and we ended up boating 30+ rainbows on different shades of beads. Lately the rainbows have been keying in on the lighter pink/peach colors. It seems as though the trout are shying away from the oranges so far this year, but I am sure that will change when more salmon enter the river later this month. Friday was an epic day on the river with Steve G. and Jessie W. from Napa and we boated 50 rainbows. In the first riffle alone we had 14 fish. I absolutely love starts like that out of the gate because it gets all of your clients amped up for the rest of the day. On both Thursday and Friday the morning time proved more productive than the afternoon.

Saturday and Sunday Steve G. and Jason D. from Napa decided to roll the dice and go down to Red Bluff chasing steelhead and trout. Saturday was another epic day and the most fun I have had guiding in the last year. Everything went well beyond my expectations. Going into the day I thought we would land 15 rainbows and hook 1 adult steelhead. However the day proved to be much more successful than that. We ended up hooking 40+ rainbows and 2 adult steelies. The steelhead we landed measured out at 27'' and was my personal best landed on the lower river. I have hooked fish much larger than that down there but every time they manage to get away. I must admit that Steve G. has the mojo for those lower fish and this is the second year in row that he has caught some big fish down in Red Bluff. So he has officially been nicknamed STEELHEAD STEVE. I think its got a good ring to it. Jason hooked the second steelhead and got three very impressive jumps and runs out of it before it found a snag in the middle of the river. From the looks of the fish I would have estimated it at about 25''. Hooking those two steelhead has gotten me amped up for the steelie fishing that awaits in the next month.

Sunday was a different story on the lower river. It went from epic to extremely tough. I dont know why the river changed because the weather was the same and the flows were only slightly altered by 300cfs (not significant enough to change the fishing dramatically). At the end of the day we had boated 16 trout with 5 of those fish being clipped juvenile half pound steelhead. Two of the half pounders were extremely hot and went 19''. So the day wasn't a complete bust but a disappointment after the day before. The good news is that it is only going to be getting better as we get later into the month. Get ready because the steelhead are starting to show up on the Lower Sac.

If you are interested in fishing this fishery I still have November 1st available. This is going to be prime time for big steelhead on the lower river. Dont miss out on my only availability for the next 5 weeks.

Tight Lines and Big Fish!

No comments: