Friday, July 27, 2007

The South Fork 7/24 - 26


The South Fork has stayed in its mid summer trend. The fish are becoming very wise these days. It is probably because most of them have been hooked several times over. I don't know about you but I wouldn't want my lip ripped up a bunch of times either. So on hot and clear days they are being extremely cautious and coming up and looking at our flies but mostly refusing them. However on Tuesday the weather was cloudy and rainy and every fish in the river was blowing up on our bugs. The trend of good fishing on cloudy days and tougher fishing on sunny days is continuing. Come on rain!

All three days I fished from the Heise Bridge down to Lorenzo. Tuesday the fishing was awesome and we caught lots of fish under the cloudy wet conditions. Wednesday the fishing was average and we boated 21 trout under sunny condition. Thursday it was really tough and we landed about 10 under super hot conditions. One cool thing about Thursday though is that one angler got the South Fork Slam. The guy caught a cutthroat, rainbow, and brown all in the same day. This has only happened to me a few times since I have been here.

Well if you are interested in coming out and giving this river a try I am not going to be here much longer. So you need to start making arrangements because I will be going back to Northern California in less than a month. Come on out and do some insane dry fly fishing with me.

No comments: