Sunday, July 22, 2007

The South Fork 7/1 - 7/11

The South Fork is continuing to see the large hatches of PMD's and Golden Stones. It has been so nice to be able to throw dry flies everyday I am on the river. I must admit though that the fish are becoming very smart because of the heavy pressure they are receiving. Most of the trout in the riffles are taking emerging mayfly patterns. Thank God for my buddy Hogan Brown (check out his bugs on the Idylewild site), because he has hooked me up with a California pattern that is continually fooling big fish. If it were not for that fly I would be getting my butt kicked. Hopefully this one particular PMD emerger continues to work, and the fish don't wise up to it.

The banks have continued to fish well also with big Chernobyl Ants. So for the most part of the day we are throwing big dries down the bank, and for a couple of hours we are throwing the small bugs on the riffles. If you have a chance come on out fish the South Fork. The river is a true gem in the state of Idaho.

No comments: