Sunday, January 22, 2017

Prime Time Spring Dates - Book Now



Prime Time Spring Dates - Book Now
Well it seems like it has been raining for a month now and most of our Northern California Rivers are blown out. Finally it looks like we have some dry weather coming this next week to let things calm down and get back into fishable shape. So expect things to get going again here in the next ten days or so. I know that I have had a lot of time off recently to catch up on Cast Hope and daddy duties around the house. The great news is that we don't have drought conditions anymore in California. Of course that is till next year. LOL. We definitely live in an interesting state when it comes to water.

I have just opened up my spring calendar and a few of you have been asking about prime time dates for spring time fishing. So my openings and descriptions of what is to come this spring are below. Plus there is some other fun news down below if you keep reading.

Check out my open dates below:
March 1-4, 11, 13-18, 20, 22-25, 27-29

March Saturdays - 4, 11, 18, 25

April 3-8, 11-13, 15, 17, 20-22, 24-29

April Saturdays - 8, 15, 22, 29
Feather River - Spring steelhead are just around the corner on the Feather. By the middle parts of March there is a good number of fish in the system. This is my absolute favorite time of year on the Feather. The crowds are significantly less and the fish are bright, hot, and amazing. These are one of my favorite fish in the Northern California Valley. I expect a good return of fish this year with the amount of water we will be having coming out of Lake Oroville. The water should bring them up in good numbers. Prime time is mid March through April.

Lower Sac -  Everyone talks about the fall egg bite on the Lower Sac but my favorite Month of the year is March. There are bugs everywhere and the fish start chowing down on the first significant hatches of the year. Generally speaking the crowds in March are small and the fishing is incredible. If you haven't tried the spring time fishing on the Sac then this is an absolute must. Lots of bugs makes for happy fish and smiling clients. Prime time on the Sac is March and April with my preference to March when there are less people on the water.
 
Yuba - The Yuba is going to be interesting this spring. With all of the high water that we have had the last month I don't know where the bug life is going to be. I assume that the Skwala hatch is going to be smaller with some of the bugs getting washed away. The March Brown hatch in March will be the bugs to look for. I'm hoping that we get another significant March Brown Hatch but only time will tell. All the extra water helps the Feather but hurts the bugs on the Yuba. Keeping my fingers crossed for some good dry fly fishing this spring.
 
Hot New Article - For those of you that are into reading fly fishing magazines pick up the latest issue of California Fly Fisher. I have written a piece for them about 'Being Analytical' in your fishing technique. Many of you have heard these tips from me for years but now you get to read it. There is some fun stuff in there if you are so inclined to read. Plus my good friend Hogan Brown has an article about swinging our Nor Cal Valley Rivers. This is a great local California Magazine that has some great information for all anglers.

No comments: