Thursday, April 4, 2013

Awesome Spring Fishing Continues

I hope this note finds all of you well. One thing I know for sure that this March Madness has been insane on the court and on the river. Now on the river my clients and I are doing really well. The Lower Sac has been en fuego for a month! Now on the other side of things my bracket is a mess. I will admit that this year I only predicted one team right for the final four. But lets be honest who picked Wichita State to go this deep. Well enough about my ramblings onto the fishing. The Lower Sac from Posse down to Balls Ferry has been really good. Most days right now we are hooking 50+ rainbows. The best fishing right now is in the afternoon so no need to get on the river early. You can get some love in the morning but it has really been an afternoon delight. From 1PM to 5PM the fishing have really been dialed into those mayfly hatches. Currently there are March Browns, PMDS, and baetis hatching in good numbers. It seems like the majority of the caddis hatch is over by this point. By far the March Browns are dominating the food source. Hot flies have been pheasant tails, eng things, dark lords, prince nymphs, yellow egg, etc. Good luck in finding the yellow egg as it seems that most shops have received an egg with a bad set of dye. So make sure the yellow egg you are buying is actually yellow and not whiteish with a touch of pink. I havent been on the Feather or the Yuba for the last three weeks so I dont have any current information for you there. But there should be a decent number of steelhead on the Feather by this point and the March Browns/PMDs should be thick on the Yuba. For those of you looking to do some fishing with me then my schedule is really booked up the next six weeks. my next openings are: May 17, 21-24, 28-31, June 2-5, 7, 9-12, 14, 16. Now remember for those of you looking to do some shad fishing the best dates for shad around Chico is the first two weeks of June. June 2-16 are prime shad dates. Tight Lines. Ryan Johnston www.rjsflytrips.com

No comments: