Monday, May 4, 2009

Big Dose of the Lower Sac


I have been on the Lower Sac a whole lot the last couple of weeks. Prior to this recent storm things were getting back to normal. The water clarity was looking good, the hatches of pmds were thick, and the fish were feeding. Most days during the last ten days we were boating 25+ rainbows. Lately I have really been bouncing around on different drifts from Bonny to Anderson, Anderson to Barge, and Jellys to Bend. It doesn't seem like there is one drift that is fishing better than the others. It definitely seems like the fish are bigger on average on the upper drifts. The hot flies lately have been mercers pmd, rubberlegs, yellow micro spawn, black micromay, and mercers gidget.

The recent storm on the Lower Sac has added a lot of color to the river. The river yesterday afternoon only had a couple of feet of visibility. Both Clear, Cow, and Cottonwood were all pumping mud as of last night. This should improve quickly as soon as this recent rain lets up.

The cool thing about last week is that 6 out of my last 7 days I only had one client in the boat. Gotta love how the boat weighs a couple hundred pounds lighter on those days. Actually my back is feeling pretty good after 7 days of rowing. I can't say that to often. Wish I could do that more.

To keep everyone posted I will once again be leaving to guide on the South Fork of the Snake river in Idaho for the summer. I am excited for another summer of throwing big dries on the banks of the Snake. I do have some availabilities still open for the Lower Sac and Yuba for those of you looking to do some fishing in May.

Fish Hard!

No comments: