Sunday, September 23, 2007

Putah Creek 9/21-22/2007


I had the opportunity to fish Putah Creek on Friday and Saturday this week. Friday I went down early to pre-fish the creek to check out the current conditions and water flows. The creek fished extremely well! I hooked 30+ rainbows in about 8 hours of fishing. I only hooked on good fish around 17''. The majority of the fish were between 8''-10''. I had a lot of fun experimenting with flies and exploring some new water. Some of the best flies were Hogan's PMD nymph, Bernie's Wonderbra, and a black/olive zebra midge. Even with the fishing being great, the best part of the day was when I took about 30 minutes in the afternoon and just relaxed on the edge of the river bank. The weather was beautiful and the river tranquil. I could really feel God's presence around me. I love those God moments.

On Saturday I had the opportunity to guide Mark and Jeff from San Diego. I need to thank Off the Hook Destination Travel for the business over the last year and for directing Mark and Jeff my direction. If you are interested in booking a trip to some of the best fly fishing water in the world then you need to check out their link on my website. The fishing on Saturday was solid, but not quite as good as the day prior. We hooked 22 rainbows in about 7 hours of fishing. Like Friday most of the rainbows were little guys. Actually the best fish we landed on Saturday was 13''. However, there were a couple of big fish that we hooked that managed to get off of those little bugs. The hot bug today was again Bernie's Wonderbra, Hogan's PMD nymph, and black/olive zebra midge.

Give me a call if you are interested in fishing this diamond in the ruff. If you are a big fish hunter or want to refine your nymphing technique then Putah Creek is the place for you. I have a few availabilities left next week and in the middle of November.

No comments: